EDITOR’S NOTE: The community consultation for Energizing Eyes High is now complete. Thank you to everyone in the campus community who took part. Read the UToday article about the wrap-up of the consultation process, or view a slideshow summarizing the results of all 11 online polls.
Take a few minutes to watch the Energizing Eyes High video and be inspired by President Elizabeth Cannon speaking about the origins of Eyes High, where we are heading and why it’s important to participate in the consultation process.
Here’s one comment shared by email to firstname.lastname@example.org: “I came to the U of C in 2008 and was soon after immediately engaged and delighted by Eyes High. There was (and is) something about those two words which encapsulated the aspirations I had in coming to Calgary and how I viewed the culture and place of the university.”
Last week, 18 students won a free lunch for participating in the online survey and focus groups. Winners can pick up their $10 Mac Hall food vouchers in MLB 325 on Mondays and Fridays until Nov. 18.
More than 2,220 people have completed the online survey, many taking the time to provide detailed comments:
“I find the U of C generally a respectful place to work,” wrote one survey respondent.
“I believe we are producing some great research,” wrote another respondent.
“I have found the university environment safe and respectful but perhaps not always inclusive. Overwhelmingly in both my experience and the experience of the majority of those I have spoken to (especially in undergrad), U of C can be a very lonely and isolating place,” wrote a third respondent.
More than 1,555 people have participated in the online polls over the past five weeks.
Five ways to engage
There is still time to participate. You can choose one or more of the Energizing Eyes High consultation opportunities that work best for you:
- Register for one of 18 campus focus groups for students, faculty, staff, and Board and Senate members* (Register for the table topic you are most interested in.) Special focus groups are also being offered in some faculties and departments — watch for local invitations. For example, nearly 200 people participated in a focus group during the recent Provost’s Town Hall, and both the Faculty of Arts and Faculty of Science will be offering special sessions for academic staff.
- Complete the online survey
- Visit a roving booth and record a video message
- Take the weekly poll in UToday or on the website
- Send a comment to email@example.com
* Special focus groups and surveys are being offered for alumni and external community members. Interested in learning more about these opportunities? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anyone who attends a focus group or completes an online survey is eligible to enter a draw for one of 10 iPad Pros. Students are also eligible for weekly draws for $10 Mac Hall food vouchers, with a 50-per-cent chance of winning.
What happens next?
Feedback will help focus UCalgary priorities and impact funding decisions going forward. Once the consultation feedback is collected and analyzed, a refined strategic direction will move through our governance bodies — the General Faculties Council and the Board of Governors — before it is launched in spring 2017.
Check out the Energizing Eyes High website to learn more and to engage in the consultation opportunities. Questions and general feedback? Email email@example.com.