University of Calgary

Work Opportunities for International Students

The Centre for International Students and Study Abroad (CISSA) does not provide immigration advice. The information below is a guide for University of Calgary students only. It is not official immigration information. For updated, official and accurate immigration information, always check the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website at

International Students may work on and/or off campus based on certain criteria. For details, please see Citizenship and Immigration Canada's section on Student Work.

Various locations on campus tend to hire students as part of their workforce. To find out more about these opportunities, please see our list of on-campus employers.

Social Insurance Number (SIN) - Needed for all types of work opportunities

NEW Applying for a Social Insurance Number after June 1, 2014 
Whether you are working on campus with a valid study permit, or working off-campus with a valid off-campus work permit, you will be required to provide your new employer with a Social Insurance Number. You will need to apply in person at a Service Canada Centre, and bring with you your study permit, passport, and contract of employment. The nearest Service Canada Centre to the University of Calgary is the Calgary North Service Canada Centre located right by McMahon Stadium, you can take the C-Train and exit at the Banff Trail Station. 


 Last revised June 2014