University of Calgary

Transportation in Calgary

By Bicycle

  • Riding a bike saves you money on buses and taxis.
  • Dress appropriately. Bike helmets are mandatory.
  • Ride your bike on the right-hand side of the road. Do NOT ride bicycles on the sidewalk or on major highways. Use the Bike Pathways.
  • Cyclists follow the same rules as drivers: Stop for red lights and stop signs, use hand signals; keep to the speed limit.
  • Lock your bicycle when you park it.
  • Take your bike on the C-Train on weekdays: before 06:30, 09:00-15:00 and after 18:00. There are no hourly restrictions on weekends and statutory holidays.
    For more information.
  • To find a cheap, used bike:
    -  The Bargain Finder (online): Print version is sold in ‘STÖR', MacEwan Student Centre.
    -  From another student: Look for used bikes for sale advertisements on U of C notice boards, laundromats, grocery stores and in Calgary daily newspapers, or free local classifieds.
  • U of C Outdoor Centre - Gear Rentals
  • Bike repairs on campus: Bike Root, Murray Fraser Hall (MFH) 1482 (the loading dock facing the Taylor Family Digital Library between MFH and MacKimmie Library).

Buses and C-Trains or Light Railway Transit (LRT)

  • Transit Route maps are available at: U of C Ticket Centre, and Calgary Transit Customer Service Centre, 224-7 Avenue SW.
  • For information on how to get from one point to another, call: 403-262-1000 for route/schedule information. Weekdays: 06:00-21:00, Weekends and Holidays: 08:00-18:00.
  • If you need to take more then one bus, ask the bus driver for a ‘transfer'. It is valid for 90 minutes and is used to catch another bus or C-train.
  • Buses stop only at designated stops. Ring the bell to notify the driver that you want to get off.


Purchasing Transit Tickets

  • U-PASS: A travel pass for full-time U of C students is a sticker that is placed on your student identification card. It allows you unlimited public transit access for the semester. The fees for the U-Pass (currently assessed at approximately $110 per semester) are COMPULSORY for all Undergraduate and Graduate students. Obtain your pass at the Campus Ticket Centre, MacEwan Student Centre.
  • Monthly Transit Pass: If you are not eligible for the U-Pass and plan to take Calgary Transit at least twice a day, purchase a pass at the Campus Ticket Centre, or the Calgary Transit Customer Service Centre.
  • Cash Fares
    Adult Fare:                                  $3.00 (valid for 90 minutes in any direction)
    Youth Fare (age 6 -14):            $1.75
    Children (under 6):                   FREE (must be accompanied by a fare paying adult)
  • Books of Tickets
    Books of 10 Tickets can be purchased at the Campus Ticket Centre for $30.00.



  • You may use your valid driver's licence from your home country as long as it remains valid and you are registered as a full-time student at the University of Calgary. You must carry your licence from your home country, a certified translated copy if it is not in English, a copy of your valid study permit, and a current enrolment verification letter from the University of Calgary in order drive legally in Alberta.
  • If you plan to purchase a vehicle in Alberta, you will require an Alberta Driver’s Licence. You may apply for this once you arrive in Alberta and you will need to do so in order to qualify for auto insurance. Depending on how long you have been driving in your home country and the country that issued your licence, you may have to take both a written test and a driving test to qualify for an Alberta Driver’s licence.
  • To find a Registry Agent - that issue driver's licence
  • If you have a car accident that results in personal injury or property damage over $1000, you must notify the police. You must remain at the scene of the accident until it is cleared by the police.
  • Seat belts: Wearing a seat belt is mandatory for the driver and passengers at all times. Passengers over age 18 are fined if they are not wearing a seat belt. The driver is fined if children are not wearing seat belts.
  • Speed limits are in kilometres per hour (km/h). Urban and populated areas range from 30-60 km/h; 100 km/h on city highways. Speed limits are well posted.
  • Hitchhiking is not allowed on major highways. It is not advised anywhere.
  • Car Rentals: You may rent a car using either your Alberta Driver’s Licence or your licence from your home country. However, different car rental companies have their own policies regarding who may rent cars in the province. Generally speaking, the cheapest rates are usually offered to drivers 25 years of age and older. Younger drivers may be subject to additional fees. Most companies will require you to have a credit card in order to reserve and rent a car, as well as at least two pieces of Government-issued photo identification in addition to your driver’s licence. Contact rental companies directly.



  • Taking or calling a taxi (cab) is a very expensive way to travel around the city.
  • The taxi fare is calculated by a meter, not the driver so the amount of money the driver asks for cannot be negotiated. The fare is displayed on the electronic meter beside the driver.
  • Pay a small tip on top of this price ($2+).
  • You can ask for an estimate of the fare when you first call the taxi office for a ride.(see Calgary telephone book list under TAXICABS:
    -  Associated Taxis:  403-299-1111            
    -  Checker Cabs:       403-299-9999                    
    -  Mayfair Taxi:            403-255-6555
    -  Delta Cab Ltd.:       403-278-9999



  • Dress for the weather when you go for a long walk especially in the winter.
  • Wear proper boots or shoes for walking.
  • Take a map to help you find the places you wish to go. Ask for directions - most people are happy to help you


Calgary weather can change several times in one day, so wear layers of clothing that you can remove or add in case you get too hot or too cold.  Check the Environment Canada website or call: 403-299-7878.


Prices may have changed since this information was gathered.  CISSA offers these links for your information. CISSA does not endorse the content.

Last revised April 29, 2013