The Postdoctoral Scholar Certificate in University Teaching and Learning demonstrates that you have completed a comprehensive program in which you have cultivated a reflective, evidence-based, and theoretically-informed approach to teaching and learning.
In particular, postdoctoral scholars will have opportunities to:
- Explore evidence-based, research-informed teaching practices
- Enhance teaching and communication skills
- Prepare for a competitive job market
- Build connections with graduate students from different disciplines
- Complete a University of Calgary approved Certificate in University Teaching and Learning
What will I learn?
By the end of this non-credit certificate program, successful participants will be able to:
- Engage in collaborative, critically reflective conversations with colleagues to explore current issues, theories and research in postsecondary education
- Identify and implement research-informed teaching methods that enhance student learning
- Practice peer teaching, and collecting and responding to feedback from colleagues
- Articulate a research question and develop a plan to conduct a SoTL (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning) project
- Evaluate and select effective learning technologies and maximize spaces to enhance student learning
- Develop a teaching philosophy/dossier that aligns key beliefs about teaching and learning to sources of evidence drawn from participation in the certificate program
How do I get it?
By taking designated workshops and completing a summary learning task, you can earn up to five individual University of Calgary Teaching and Learning Badges:
- Emerging Teachers Development
- SoTL Foundations for Postdoctoral Scholars
- Learning Spaces and Digital Pedagogy
- Theories and Issues in Postsecondary Teaching and Learning (available in Winter 2018)
- Developing Your Teaching Dossier (available in Winter 2018)
Each badge has its own requirements. Once you have successfully completed all five badges, you will be eligible to receive the Postdoctoral Scholar Certificate in University Teaching and Learning.
When can I get it?
This is a continuous enrolment program, and you can begin at any time. Badge programs are ongoing and there are numerous workshop opportunities, so you may choose to work on one badge at a time… or you can work on multiple badges simultaneously. The entire certificate can be completed within one or two years depending on your schedule.