Programs and Services
|RECYCLING & ORGANICS: What goes where|
In the News
> Apr. 25, 2012 CHEERS TO A CLEANER CAMPUS: Dozens pitch in to help clean up campus on Earth Day.
> Apr. 20, 2012 ERASE THE WASTE FINAL RESULTS: Initiatives ranged from reducing paper to producing zero grams of waste.
> Apr. 16, 2012 E-WASTE REUSE AND RECYCLING: The university handles all electronic waste in a local and responsible way.
> Mar. 20, 2012 RECYCLE ON!: Erase the Waste 200 gram Challenge update
> Jan 19, 2012 BUY RESPONSIBLY AND REDUCE WASTE: Help the university become a zero waste campus.
> Dec. 8, 2011 ECO-CONTAINER EXCHANGE PROGRAM: Use new re-usable containers and get every 10th meal free.
> Mar. 3, 2011 WEEKLY CAMPUS GARAGE-LIKE-SALES: Weekly deals on everything from desks, chairs and white-boards to computers, projectors and cameras.
> May 26, 2009 CUTTING DOWN ON PHONE BOOKS: As part of the university's sustainability initiative, the university will be reducing the number of phone books on campus by ~90%
> June 2008 U of C RECEIVES CAUBO QUALITY AND PRODUCTIVITY AWARD [See pg. 9]: Western Regional winner for Sustainable Asset Disposal Program.
> July 19, 2007 TRASH BASH: Volunteers sort through trash to see how much waste U of C could be diverting from landfill and to inform future waste reduction initiatives.
Annual volume of waste generated in metric tonnes (nic construction waste and hazardous waste)
(FY 2005/2006) 3,092 metric tonnes
Percent of waste diverted from landfill (nic construction waste and hazardous waste)
Percent of construction and demolition waste diverted from landfill (all projects)
2005 less than 5 %
- Leaf and lawn waste is composted on campus; compost is returned to grounds
- Pre-consumer food waste is collected from 95% of food outlets on campus; waste is composted off-campus
- Post-consumer food waste is collected via 25+ organics bins located near food courts on campus; compost is processed on-campus in an in-vessel composter (Earth Tub).
- ~20 streams of waste are diverted from the landfill
- Phone books by request only
- Weekly on-campus surplus materials sales
- Used text book sales and donation of text books to communities in need
- Various paper free on-line processes
- SustainabilityON Coordinators Program
- Annual paper use reduction competition
- Annual waste reduction competition
- Co-mingled recycling coming in 2011
- Recycling and waste infrastructure standard confirms required bin types for all areas of campus
- New multi-bin indoor and outdoor infrastructure will be in place in 2011
- Long range Waste and Recycling Management Plan under development