Worker's Compensation Board (WCB) Reporting Requirements
The University of Calgary's Online Accident Reporting System (OARS) does not replace Worker's Compensation Board (WCB) reporting requirements. All WCB reportable incidents require the completion of WCB forms and the University of Calgary's OARS incident report.
|NO LOST TIME
|Classified as Level 2 incidents in OARS
||Classified as Level 3 incidents in OARS
|Work related injury or occupational disease (illness) which is not likely to cause an employee to be off work beyond the day of the injury.
||Work related injury or occupational disease (illness) which is likely to cause an employee to be off work beyond the day of the injury.
Within 24 hours of Incident:
- Employee must contact supervisor and seek medical attention promptly
- Employee completes the online WCB Employee Report; or use the printable version of the WCB Employee Form
- Employee needs to provide supervisor with restrictions and limitations from physician as soon as possible
- Supervisor to complete OARS report
- Supervisor completes WCB Employer Report and faxes a copy to Staff Wellness (403-282-8603).
Students injured during their course of study are covered by WCB though by the Alberta Government. WCB Student fact sheet.
- Student seeks medical attention promptly.
- Student completes the WCB Student - Employee Form
- Student or University Representative to complete OARS report
- Faculty/Department of the student reporting the incident completes and faxes (403.517.6201) the WCB Student - Employer Report.
- Faculty/Department of the student reporting the incident retains the original WCB Employer record.
- Ambulance costs for students who suffer an accident and who are in need of medical aid to a hospital are covered by Alberta Advanced Education and Technology. Invoices should be sent for payment to Melanie White, Office Manager, Training & Development Coordinator, 7th floor, Phipps - McKinnon Building, 10020 - 101 A Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta T5J 3G2.
Who is covered?
All employees - full-time, temporary, casual, part-time, contract – of the University of Calgary are covered under the no-fault WCB legislation.
Students who are injured during their course of study are covered by WCB through Alberta Advanced Education and Technology.
What needs to be reported to the WCB?
Any work-related injury or illness that results in:
- lost time – or probable lost time - beyond the day of accident
- the need for medical treatment beyond first aid (i.e. assessment by physician, physiotherapist, chiropractor)
- a temporary or permanent change in your ability to perform the regular duties of your job
- incurring medical aid expenses (i.e. dental treatment, eyeglass repair/replacement, prescription medications)
For more information about employee WCB reporting please contact Staff Wellness or visit their website at https://www.ucalgary.ca/staffwellness/wcb