University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

General FAQs

My room is cold, how do I fix it?

If you find that your room/apartment is cold, turn your thermostat down to 0 degrees Celsius; wait a few seconds then turn it back up between 20 degree Celsius and 25 degree Celsius. Thermostats will turn off if set to 30 degree Celsius. Make sure that all windows in your apartment are closed firmly. To help heat up your bedroom, leave your door open to help the heat circulate throughout the apartment.

Are my personal belongings covered by residence insurance if there's a fire, flood, theft or other issues that may cause damage or loss?

No. It is the responsibility of each resident to insure their own personal belongings. It is required that each resident purchase tenant insurance from an insurance agency. Tenant insurance at most agencies is $60 - $150 for the year.

How do I get a new mattress for my room?

Students who require a new mattress for medical reasons can contact Residence Services office to arrange to have their mattress replaced, or to have permission to bring in their own medical mattress.

How do I get a new bed for my room?

Broken beds can be replaced by completing an online Maintenance Request.

Do I need to leave residence during winter break or reading week?

Students that have applied for and signed their Residence Agreement for the Academic term do not need to vacate residence during the Winter Break. Students that have applied for and signed their Residence Agreements for either the Academic or Winter term, do not need to leave during Reading Week.

How do I pay my residence fees?

South Residence (non Crowsnest and Family Housing) fees are due the same date as tuition. North Residence (Crowsnest and Family Housing) fees are due by the first business day of each month.

Residents can pay fees through their Residence Portal with credit card or at one of the Residence Services offices by credit/debit card, cash or cheque. Cheques are to be made out to "The University of Calgary".