When Applying For a Research Position
- Find some background information on the researcher with whom you are interested in working. Look into their research, projects currently underway, and publications. Make sure that your research interests match theirs or it may make for a very boring work term.
- If you’re interested in working with a professor at the university, send them an email. In the email:
- Let them know what you are interested in and how you can help them with their research.
- Provide some brief information about yourself.
- Attach a resume and cover letter.
- Offer to provide them with further information such as transcripts.
- If you’re interested in working for the government or a company, follow the instructions provided in the project description. If no specifics are given, send a resume and cover letter to the email address provided. Also, be sure to fill out any necessary application forms.
- Don’t get discouraged! You may have to contact several researchers and go in for a few interviews before obtaining a position.