Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) is an independent corporation created by the Government of Canada to fund research infrastructure. The CFI's mandate is to strengthen the capacity of Canadian universities, colleges, research hospitals, and non-profit research institutions to carry out world-class research and technology development that benefits Canadians.
CFI support is intended to:
- strengthen Canada's capacity for innovation
- attract and retain highly skilled research personnel in Canada
- stimulate the training of Highly Qualified Personnel through research
- promote networking, collaboration, and multidisciplinarity among researchers, institutions, and sectors
- ensure the optimal use of research infrastructure within and among Canadian institutions.
Applications are assessed using the following criteria:
- Quality of research and need for infrastructure
- Contribution to strengthening the capacity for innovation
- Potential benefits of the research to Canada
CFI offers several programs including:
- Innovation Fund
- Infrastructure Operating Fund, and
- John R. Evans Leaders Fund
CFI accepts applications to the John R. Evans Leaders Fund (JELF) program three times per year: February 15, June 15, and October 15.
For more information surrounding CFI programs, please contact the Institutional Programs Division at email@example.com