The Honours degree in Visual Studies is an advanced undergraduate program for students seeking a more focused studio experience, aspiring to careers as practicing and professional artists, or considering further graduate level study in an MFA program. The Honours degree requires students to complete a minimum of an additional 15 units (2.5 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Art beyond the requirements for the general BFA in Visual Studies. A high standard of creative achievement is required for admission, continuation, and completion.
A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD REQUIREMENTS
The BFA Honours in Visual Studies requires the successful completion of 84 (14.0 full-course equivalents) to 96 units (16.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Art with the following requirements:
63 units (10.5 full-course equivalents) from the following required courses:
- Art 231, 233, 235, 241
- Art History 201 or 203 and Art History 331 and 333
- Art 301, 327, 329, 397, 399
- Art 401, 461, 465, 499
- One of Art 309, 342 or 344
- Art 560, 561, 563 and 599
21 units (3.5 full-course equivalents) from the following Art and Art History Options:
- 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the Field of Art at the 300 level
- 15 units (2.5 full-course equivalents) from courses labelled Art History or Art 421, 438, 445, 455, 475, 485, 501.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in English
- 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from the Field of Art History at the 300 level or above
D. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BFA Honours in Visual Studies can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements. The BFA Honours in Visual Studies can be taken with a concentration in Art Education (see section 4.8.5).