A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 54 units (9.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 72 units (12.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Spanish while fulfilling the following requirements:
Core Language Sequence: 21 units (3.5 full-course equivalents) consisting of Spanish 201, 203, 301, 303 and 323, 405, 505. Spanish 205 can be substituted for Spanish 203 and 301.
(a) 15 units (2.5 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Spanish at the 400 level.
(b) 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Spanish at the 500 level.
Capstone: Spanish 598.
C. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA Honours Spanish can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The School offers language courses and non-language courses. The language sequence in B.1 must be taken in the set order except that Spanish 303 and 323 may be and normally should be taken concurrently. Since careful degree planning is necessary to meet prerequisites, students should work closely with the School and the Arts Students' Centre.
- Students entering with Spanish 30 or the equivalent may be exempted from Spanish 201 and enter directly into Spanish 203 or 205. Please consult with the School for appropriate placement. Students starting at a higher level than Spanish 201 must replace those language courses from which they have been exempted by any Spanish non-language courses (literature, linguistics, civilization, culture) or by any senior Romance Studies (ROST) courses.
- Spanish 205 is a six unit course (full-course equivalent) offered in a single term that is designed primarily for students entering with Spanish 30 or equivalent who wish to progress quickly though the curriculum.
- It is strongly recommended that students, in consultation with the School, choose at least 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) in an area of focus from disciplines related to their interests in the Hispanic world (from areas such as Political Science, History, Latin American Studies or Women's Studies).
- Students in the Honours Program are strongly encouraged to study for at least one semester in a Hispanophone environment.
- Students are also encouraged to complete Spanish 475 as part of the 54 units (9.0 full-course equivalents) required for the Honours Program.