A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 54 units (9.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 72 units (12.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of German while fulfilling the following requirements:
Core Courses: German 349 or 353; 501 and 503.
Honours Thesis: German 591.
German Options: An additional 42 units (7.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of German.
C. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA Honours German can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- Students interested in applying for Honours should discuss their plans with and seek the advice of the Undergraduate Director. Upon admission each student will be assigned a undergraduate program advisor who will assist with program planning and course selection, and the designation of the thesis supervisor.
- It is strongly recommended that students develop a supporting area of focus consisting of at least 12 units (2.0 full-course equivalents) in a closely related Field (such as History 413).
- Students will find it to their advantage to have background in one or more of the following Fields: Comparative Literature, English, Greek and Roman Studies, History, Linguistics, Philosophy and Romance Languages.
- German 357 and 359 are delivered in English and may be repeated for credit. However, a maximum of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) of German 357 and/or 359 and a maximum of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from German studies in a different discipline, subject to approval by the School, may be credited towards a degree.
- In the final year the student must take German 591 (Honours Project). This will require the preparation of an Honours Thesis under close supervision of the School.