A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD WITH HONOURS REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 72 units (12.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of Music while fulfilling the following requirements:
Foundation Courses: Music 211, 213, 255, 334, 336, and 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the 300 level in Composition, Sonic Arts or Theory.
Music Performance and Musicianship: 9 units (1.5 full-course equivalents) Music 225, 325, and all courses labelled Music Performance.
Honours Project: Music 560.
Upper-Level Courses: An additional 24 units (4.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of Music at the 400 or 500 level including:
- A minimum of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in Music History and Literature; and
- A minimum of 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in Composition, Sonic Arts or Theory.
C. OTHER REQUIREMENTS
6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) School of Creative and Performing Arts 290, 399.
- It is recommended that students choose Music 451 or 453 in partial fulfillment of the Upper-Level Course requirement.
- Honours students in Music are required to declare a program of study during or before their third year of study. A student may define a more narrow focus of study within an area such as Music History, Music Theory, Composition, Digital Media, or Music Pedagogy, or they may link thematically across such areas.
- The Honours Project (Music 560) is usually written during the final year of a student's program, under the close supervision of a member of Music. At the end of the year, the student defends the thesis before a committee that consists of three faculty members, of which normally at least two are members of Music. The Honours project in suitable form is to be submitted by the first day of the final examinations scheduled by the Registrar in the Winter Term.
- Music 531 is recommended for students who intend to do a scholarly paper for their Honours Project.
- Students are urged to plan ahead in their selection of these courses to ensure that they meet prerequisites.
- Students with an interest in pursuing a Sonic Arts Concentration should select Music 351 and 355 to meet the Foundation Course requirement of 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the 300 level in Composition, Sonic Arts or Theory.