A. FACULTY OF ARTS REQUIREMENTS
Students must adhere to the applicable Faculty of Arts requirements in 3.4 Graduation.
B. MAJOR-FIELD REQUIREMENTS
Students must successfully complete a minimum of 48 units (8.0 full-course equivalents) and a maximum of 60 units (10.0 full-course equivalents) in the Field of English while fulfilling the following requirements:
Historical Survey of Literature in English: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) English 305 and 307.
Literary Theory: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) chosen from English 302, 303, 426, 481 515* and 517.
Canadian Literature: 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) chosen from English 372, 471, 473, and 509.
Global and Indigenous Perspectives: 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) chosen from English 376, 378, 491, 493, and 515*.
*English 515 may be used towards either Literary Theory or Global and Indigenous Perspectives, but not both.
Historical Courses pre-1850: 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) from English 401, 403, 405, 406, 410, 411, 412, 413, 429, 431, 438, 441, 461, 495, 499 (when the topic is appropriate), and 519 (when the topic is appropriate).
English Options: An additional 24 units (4.0 full-course equivalents) from the Field of English including at least 15 units (2.5 full-course equivalents) at the 300 level or above, and no more than 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) in Drama or Linguistics.
Upper-Year Courses: Inclusive of the courses used to satisfy requirements 2-5 above, 21 units (3.5 full-course equivalents) must be from courses labelled English at the 400 level or above, of which at least 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) must be at the 500 level.
C. DEGREE OPTIONS
The BA in English can be taken with Co-operative Education. See section 3.4.4 Co-operative Education Programs for information and requirements.
- The prerequisite for 300-level English courses is normally 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) of English at the 200 level.
- English 203 and 205 are the recommended first-year courses for English Majors.
- Completion of 6 units of English (1.0 full-course equivalent) at the senior level is the standard prerequisite for 400-level courses.
- The Department recommends that students complete English 305 and 307, and at least 3 units (0.5 full-course equivalent) in literary theory at the 300 level before proceeding to the 400 level. English 302 (Introduction to Literary Theory) is the recommended theory course for English Majors and Honours students.
- Up to 6 units (1.0 full-course equivalent) selected from the following list may be counted towards the major field: Drama 371, 471, Linguistics 221, 435. Students may consult with the department to verify whether additional pertinent courses outside of the field may be applied to the major program.
- With Department consent, students transferring from other institutions may satisfy part or all of the Historical course requirements with transfer courses focusing on the appropriate periods. Students must supply detailed course outlines for each proposed transfer course, in order for such equivalency to be considered.
- English Majors should note that competency in a second language is often required for advanced studies in the field.