Prospective students wishing to enrol in any program of the Faculty of Arts need adequate preparation. High school matriculation or the equivalent is required and English Language Arts 30-1 as well as four other subjects, as specified in the Admissions section of this Calendar, must be included.
The following additional preparation items pertain to particular programs:
1. Mathematics Preparation: Students intending to major in Archaeology, Economics, Geography or the BSc program in Psychology should note that Alberta Education Pure Mathematics 30, Mathematics 30-1 (or the equivalent from other jurisdictions) is a prerequisite for some required courses and should be completed prior to admission. Students intending to major in the BA program in Psychology should note that a grade 12 level mathematics course (or the equivalent from other jurisdictions) is required for Psychology 312, which is a required course for all Psychology majors.
2. Additional Grade 12 Preparation:
- For all Archaeology degrees with a concentration in Physical Anthropology, Biology 30 and Chemistry 30 are prerequisites for required courses.
- For all BSc degrees in Psychology, Biology 30 and Chemistry 30 are prerequisites for required courses. Physics 30 and Mathematics 31 are suggested as useful preparation.
- For the BSc in Anthropology and the BSc in Geography, Biology 30 and Chemistry 30 are strongly recommended as useful preparation because they are prerequisites for courses taken by most students.
- For all degrees in Economics, Mathematics 31 is suggested as useful preparation.
3. Additional Application Requirements for Programs in the Fine Arts:
- Applicants to the BFA (Visual Studies) program must submit a portfolio.
- Applicants to the BMus program must complete an online audition form (including background information and a statement of interest) and audition.
- Admission to the BMus, BA (Music) or Minor in Music programs requires evidence of successful completion of Grade II Royal Conservatory Theory/Advanced Rudiments or the departmental music theory diagnostic exam.
- Applicants to the BA (Dance) program must audition and submit a statement of interest.
Enrolment in the following majors may be limited: Communication and Media Studies, Dance, Drama, Economics, International Relations, Law and Society, Psychology, and Visual Studies. Whenever such limits are in effect, the admission average for a program will normally be higher than those for other programs in the Faculty of Arts.