Electives are open to applicants who are at the clinical clerk level currently registered in a Canadian medical school. The University of Calgary also welcomes applicants from medical schools currently registered in an LCME accredited international medical school who are currently in their final year of medical undergraduate training.
Visiting student applications for the clerkship year April 14, 2014 – February 15, 2015 will only be considered after 8:00am MST on February 3, 2014. Please note - there are NO electives available over the 2-week Winter break ( Dec 22, 2014 - Jan 4, 2015) and NO visiting electives between February 16-April 12, 2015.
To arrange your elective (for the next elective year April 14, 2014 – February 15, 2015 ), please e-mail the Visiting Electives Program Coordinator on or after 8am MST Feb 3 2014 to get program contact information for specific elective(s). No other forms are required at this time; Immunization forms, as well as the fee are only required once the elective dates have been confirmed. Please see Electives Catalogue below for a complete listing of electives offered. The Visiting Electives Office does not have a master list of availability with the departments. Once you have arranged your elective with the Department contact, please forward by e-mail the confirmation of your elective, and registration forms will be sent to you by email.
Please do not contact preceptors directly without authorization from the Electives Program Coordinator or the Department Contact. All accepted electives must be "Programt Approved" and "UME Approved", NOT individual-physician approved. This is to ensure that all criteria have been met and applications have been properly registered for a valid clinical elective.
Cancellation of a confirmed elective with less than 8 weeks' notice will result in a letter to your Undergraduate office regarding professionalism. All visiting electives must be registered with the UME office at least 9-weeks prior to the start of the elective. Any requests for electives after the 9-week deadline will not be considered.
ALL UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY MEDICAL ELECTIVES MUST GO THROUGH THE ELECTIVES OFFICE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY TO ENSURE PROPER REGISTRATION AND COMPLETION OF THE APPLICATION PROCESS. ELECTIVES ARRANGED DIRECTLY WITH PHYSICIANS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Visiting Electives Program Coordinator, University of Calgary
Faculty of Medicine, Undergraduate Medical Education
HSC - G701, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, AB T2N 4N1
Registration Guidelines (after Department Approval)
Students attending Canadian universities
- Registration deadline: receipt of registration form 8-weeks prior to start of elective. (Please note – there are NO electives available over the 2-winter break and NO visiting electives between March 3 - April 13, 2014)
- Fee: $100.00 non-refundable administration fee in the form of a bank draft, certified cheque or money order payable to the University of Calgary per elective requested. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
- Immunization Record must be submitted. Click here to view
- Police Information Check which includes the Vulnerable Sector search from local police department dated within 12 months of the start of the elective.
- There is an 8-week maximum length of elective time per student, not per year.
- To view the Electives Catalogue, please scroll to the bottom of this page or click here.
Students attending International universities
- There are a very limited number of elective positions available to students registered in a non-Canadian medical school. Priority selection for electives is given to applicants based on the following: 1) medical students from the University of Calgary 2) medical students attending other Canadian medical schools 3) medical students from LCME accredited international medical schools. Please go to the LCME website for a list of LCME accredited medical schools - http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm
- Application deadline: recommended initiation of application to the department is 4 months prior to start of elective. Once an elective has been approved by the department, the registration forms must be in the Electives Office no later than 8 weeks prior to the start of the elective.(Please note – there are NO electives available over the 2-week Winter break and NO visiting electives between NO visiting electives between March 2 - April 13, 2014.)
- There is an 8-week maximum length of elective time per international student.
- Fee: $100.00 non-refundable per week of elective time in the form of a bank draft, certified cheque or money order in Canadian funds payable to the University of Calgary per elective requested. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
- You require medical malpractice liability insurance. If you are not covered by your University you will be required to purchase liability insurance prior to leaving your country. You will need to include proof of your insurance coverage with your completed application.
- You must submit an Immunization Record for Visiting Students. Click here to view
- You must submit a Police Information Check which includes the Vulnerable Sector search from your local police department dated within 12 months of the start of the elective.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen, you must have a medical examination by a "designated medical practitioner" as identified by your local Canadian consulate or embassy. You may also require a visa, in some cases. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Office website at www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp
If you do not qualify for a U of C elective, a clinical experience can be made possible through the CPSA observership Policy (Click here to view). Observerships are subject to the requirements of the Alberta Health Services' Job Shadowing (Observational Experience) policy and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta's Medical Practice Observership/Experience guidelines. Please visit these institutions websites for more information. This experience would not be registered nor sanctioned with the UME program at the University of Calgary.
Please click here to view the Electives Catalogue online. Once you have opened the catalogue in the viewing pane, you may save it to your local computer if you wish.
© 2014 University of Calgary - Faculty of Medicine. All rights reserved.