The University of Calgary portal site will be closing for this academic year as of November 20, 2015 at 3 pm MST. The exceptions are Orthopedic Surgery and Forensic Pathology which will remain open during our blackout period of February 15 - April 10, 2016.
If you are emailing about an elective in the new academic year (April 11, 2016 - February 12, 2017), please email email@example.com as of February 1, 2016 when the portal will re-open.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for the contact email for your preferred elective.
- Visiting Electives Coordinator will supply this information so that the student can communicate directly with the relevant department placement contact to request an elective.
- Once elective is confirmed by the department with an email confirmation, students will then apply via the portal. Students will be required to upload the confirmation email as one of the required documents.
- The Visiting Electives Coordinator will then review applications (only ones which have department confirmation) and send out the placement request via the portal for official confirmation of the elective.
The University of Calgary has transitioned to use of the AFMC Student Portal to process visiting elective applications. For more information about applying for elective opportunities, policies as well as student requirements, please click on the AFMC link which will direct you to the University of Calgary institution profile on the portal.
- Electives MUST be applied for no later than 10 weeks prior to the start date for any specific elective. i.e. electives starting on April 12, 2015 must be applied for prior to January 26, 2015.
- All required documents must be submitted by the clerk at the time of application for elective via the portal. Thus please download and complete the University of Calgary Immunization form prior to applying for electives in Calgary.
- Students are NOT permitted to contact preceptors/departments/placement contacts without prior approval from the Visiting Elective Coordinator.
- All communication must be via email, any phone calls inquiries will be redirected to email.
- Any requests for cancellation of an elective must be made prior to the EIGHT (8) week cancellation deadline. Cancellation requests MUST be submitted via the AFMC Student Portal; students MUST provide a detailed rationale for the request for the cancellation at that time.
- We request that electives are cancelled as early as possible to allow the departments enough time to fill cancelled spots with students who may be on their waiting lists. As per the National Electives Policy, if a student cancels an elective less than eight weeks prior to the start date, the home school will be notified in writing. Cancelling an elective at this point is deemed unprofessional.
You can reach the Visiting Electives Program Coordinator via email at email@example.com. Failure to follow any posted policies can be considered as a professionalism issue.
The University of Calgary only accepts students from Canadian & LCME (http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm) accredited medical schools. Students from all other universities are NOT eligible for electives in Calgary. It is still possible to get experience in Alberta but it will be through the CPSA observership policy. Observerships are subject to the requirements of the Alberta Health Services' Job Shadowing /Observational Experience policy(http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/page539.asp) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta's Medical Practice Observership/Experience guidelines. Please visit these institutions' websites for more information. This experience would not be registered with nor sanctioned by the UME program at the University of Calgary.