Applications for the current visiting elective academic year (April 13, 2015 – February 14, 2016) are now being accepted via the AFMC Student Portal.
The University of Calgary has transitioned to use of the AFMC Student Portal to process visiting elective applications. For more information about applying for elective opportunities, policies as well as student requirements, please click on the AFMC link which will direct you to the University of Calgary institution profile on the portal.
- No elective applications will be processed via the portal until after February 2, 2015 once all the mandatory University of Calgary clerk assignments have been provided to all the Calgary departments.
- Electives MUST be applied for no later than 12 weeks prior to the start date for any specific elective. i.e. electives starting on April 12, 2015 must be applied for prior to January 26, 2015.
- All required documents must be submitted by the clerk at the time of application for elective via the portal. Thus please download and complete the University of Calgary Immunization form prior to applying for electives in Calgary.
- Students are NOT permitted to contact preceptors/departments/placement contacts without prior approval from the Visiting Elective Coordinator. NO electives set up directly with preceptors/departments will be approved. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for contact information for your preferred department. All elective requests must be made via the AFMC Student Elective Portal.
- All communication must be via email, any phone calls inquiries will be redirected to email.
- No electives will be processed via the old method - all applications for visiting electives MUST be submitted via the portal.
- Any requests for cancellation of an elective must be made in writing prior to the EIGHT (8) week cancellation deadline. We request that electives are cancelled as early as possible (preferably no later than 10 weeks prior to the start of any elective) to allow the departments enough time to fill cancelled spots with students who may be on their waiting lists. As per the National Electives Policy, if a student cancels an elective less than eight weeks prior to the start date, the home school will be notified in writing. Cancelling an elective at this point is deemed unprofessional. Cancellation requests MUST be submitted via the AFMC Student Portal; students MUST provide a detailed rationale for the request for the cancellation at that time.
You can reach the Visiting Electives Program Coordinator via email at email@example.com. Failure to follow any posted policies can be considered as a professionalism issue.
The University of Calgary only accepts students from Canadian & LCME (http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm) accredited medical schools. Students from all other universities are NOT eligible for electives in Calgary. It is still possible to get experience in Alberta but it will be through the CPSA observership policy. Observerships are subject to the requirements of the Alberta Health Services' Job Shadowing /Observational Experience policy(http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/careers/page539.asp) and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta's Medical Practice Observership/Experience guidelines. Please visit these institutions' websites for more information. This experience would not be registered with nor sanctioned by the UME program at the University of Calgary.