Visiting student applications for the elective year April 14, 2014 – February 15, 2015 are currently being accepted. Please note - there are NO electives available over the 2-week winter break (Dec 22, 2014 - Jan 4, 2015) and NO visiting electives between February 16 - April 12, 2015.To arrange your elective (for the next elective year April 13, 2015 – February 14, 2016 ), please e-mail the Visiting Electives Program Coordinator no earlier than 8am MST Feb 2 2015 to request program contact information for specific elective(s).
To arrange your elective(s) for the current elective year April 14, 2014 – February 15, 2015, please e-mail the Visiting Electives Program Coordinator (email@example.com) to request program contact information for specific elective(s). All electives must be a minimum of two weeks in duration NO one-week electives will be approved. No other forms are required at this time.
Once you have arranged your elective with the Elective Program Contact, please forward by e-mail the confirmation of your elective dates and registration forms will be sent to you by email. Immunization forms, as well as the fee are only required after you have been sent a registration package. Please see Electives Catalogue below for a complete listing of electives offered. The Visiting Electives Office does not have a master list of availability with the departments
Please do not contact preceptors directly without authorization from the Electives Program Coordinator or the Department Contact. All accepted electives must be "Elective Program Approved" and "UME Approved", NOT individual-physician approved.This is to ensure that all eligibility criteria have been met and applications have been properly registered for a valid clinical elective.
Cancellation of a confirmed elective with less than 8 weeks' notice will result in a letter sent to your undergraduate office regarding professionalism. All visiting electives must be registered with the UME office at least 10-weeks prior to the start of the elective. Any requests for electives after the 10-week deadline will not be considered.
- There are a very limited number of elective positions available to students registered in a non-Canadian medical school. Priority selection for electives is given to applicants based on the following: 1) medical students from the University of Calgary 2) medical students attending other Canadian medical schools 3) medical students from LCME accredited international medical schools. Please go to the LCME website for a list of LCME accredited medical schools - http://www.lcme.org/directry.htm
- Application deadline: recommended initiation of application to the department is 4 months prior to start of elective. Once an elective has been approved by the department, the registration forms must be in the Electives Office no later than 8 weeks prior to the start of the elective. (Please note – there are NO electives available over the 2-week Winter break and NO visiting electives between NO visiting electives February 16-April 12, 2015).
- All electives must be a minimum of two weeks in duration. No one-week electives are permitted.
- There is an 8-week maximum length of elective time per international student.
- Fee: $100.00 (non-refundable administration fee) per week of elective time in the form of a bank draft, certified cheque or money order in Canadian funds payable to the University of Calgary per elective requested. Personal cheques will not be accepted.
- You require medical malpractice liability insurance for $2-5 Million dollars. If you are not covered by your University you will be required to purchase liability insurance prior to leaving your country. You will need to include proof of your insurance coverage with your completed application.
- You must submit an Immunization Record for Visiting Students. Click here to view
- You must submit a Police Information Check which includes the Vulnerable Sector search from your local police department dated within 12 months of the start of the elective.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen, you must have a medical examination by a "designated medical practitioner" as identified by your local Canadian consulate or embassy. You may also require a visa, in some cases. Please refer to the Citizenship and Immigration Office website at www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-temp.asp
If you do not qualify for a U of C elective, a clinical experience can be made possible through the CPSA observership Policy (Click here to view). Observerships are subject to the requirements of the Alberta Health Services' Job Shadowing (Observational Experience) policy and the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta's Medical Practice Observership/Experience guidelines. Please visit these institutions websites for more information. This experience would not be registered nor sanctioned with the UME program at the University of Calgary.
Please click here to view the Electives Catalogue online. Once you have opened the catalogue in the viewing pane, you may save it to your local computer if you wish.
© 2014 University of Calgary - Faculty of Medicine. All rights reserved.