The Holy Cross Hospital was founded in January 1891
by four nuns of the Order of the Sisters of Charity (Grey Nuns of Montreal). In 1907 the Holy Cross School of Nursing was established under the direction of Sister M. Fafard, and in 1910 five lay nurses became the first graduates of the School. Students of all denominations were accepted, and by its closing in 1979, the School had graduated 2410 nurses.
In 1970, the School came under the jurisdiction of the Metro Calgary and Rural General Hospital District No. 93, along with the Rockyview Hospital and Holy Cross Hospital. During the 1970s, the three-year hospital-based diploma program fell victim to declining enrollment and a tighter job market for nurses in Canada. The Holy Cross School of Nursing ceased enrollment in September 1977, with the June 1979 graduates being the last to receive their diplomas from the School.
Fonds consists of faculty minutes, administrative files, course manuals, examinations, statistical studies, budget files, faculty contracts, student association records, yearbooks, and slides and films of commencement exercises.
Acquired in 1979.
Text in English.
Records on permanent loan. Researchers must obtain permission to view archival material from the Archives Committee of the Alumnae Association of the Holy Cross School of Nursing.
File level inventory available at repository.
Additional archival material relating to the Holy Cross School of Nursing located at Glenbow Archives and Calgary Regional Health Authority Archives.
For additional related archival material see E.M. Benner (Accession 347/84.14).