Submitted by kaelyn.mccombs on Wed, 02/01/2017 - 3:53pm
The Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP) is a Provincial program that provides a wage subsidy to eligible employers to hire high school or post-secondary students into summer jobs.
This year the University is eligible to receive funding for 35 positions, and will be submitting an application to the Provincial government. Human Resources is collecting applications from managers to receive this subsidy, and after receiving approval for the positions HR will advise managers who are successful.
Please note that if a position receives Canada Summer Jobs funding it is not eligible for STEP funding.
Applications will be accepted until February 16, 2017.
- Positions receive a subsidy of $7 per hour
- The duration of the job must be between four and sixteen weeks, and 30 to 37.5 hours per week
- If the student works less than four weeks, or fewer than 30 hours/week, the work will be deemed ineligible and the wage will not be reimbursed.
- Work period must be between May 1 and August 31, 2017
- Positions cannot be funded by another municipal, provincial or federal subsidy (ie. Canada Summer Jobs) or by existing employment programs and placements (ie. Co-ops, employer internships)
- At least 15 years old
- Residents of Alberta with an Alberta address and living and/or attending school in the province
- Registered full-time students (before and after summer)
- Registered in a program that results in a Certificate, Diploma or Degree (Apprenticeship training is not eligible)
- Not currently employed at the University
- Not immediately related to staff responsible for hiring (including HR, supervisors, managers)
- Either a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred (foreign students are ineligible) and be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Students can only participate in one STEP position per summer
- Available for full-time summer employment
Application forms can be obtained from your HR Services team. Please note that all completed applications must be submitted to HR Services by February 16, 2017. If you have any questions please contact your HR Services team, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
More information about the program can be found on the Alberta STEP site – Summer Temporary Employment Program (STEP).
Archive Date (Calendar):
Wednesday, February 1, 2017