The Alex Community Health Centre - NORTHEAST Divison (NE)
101 – 1318 Centre Street NE Calgary AB
R1 Residents 2013 - 2014 = 2
- Unique inner city health centre provides an excellent opportunity to get experience in dealing with patients who need help the most
- Provides service to an inner city, low income, and disadvantaged patient population
- Focuses on prevention, early intervention and community development.
- Interdisciplinary team approach to management
CLINIC STRUCTURE AND SERVICES
- Experienced physicians and enthusiastic preceptors with complex and interesting patients
- Residents follow their own practice under supervision during the Resident Clinic afternoon
- Multiple teaching sessions including: PBLs, lunch and learn, guideline reviews, etc.
- Extensive team provides multiple services including: psycho-educational support through youth workers and social workers, counselling, nursing support well baby clinics and immunizations, breast feeding clinics, foot clinics, massage therapy, physiotherapy, chiropractor, spirometry, as well as a chronic disease nurse and dietician
- Visiting specialists at the Family Center and Seniors Center including: Dermatology, Psychiatry, and Endocrinology
- Opportunities to do multiple procedures including IUD insertions, endometrial biopsies, skin biopsies, joint injections, and abscess incision and drainage
- The Alex has multiple sites and programs including the off-site Seniors Community Health Clinic, Pathways to Housing, and Homebase programs
- On-site youth clinic services at risk youth from ages 12-24
- There are three mobile clinics including a Community Health Bus, Youth Health Bus, and new Dental Bus, which are operated by both nurses and physicians as an outreach to the homeless, community agencies, and high schools.
- This is an underserviced, multiethnicm and disadvantaged population of patients from all walks of life
- The doctors are dedicated to making a difference by providing a holistic approach to care in partnership with other team members.
Updated March 5, 2013