Energizing Eyes High
Building on the momentum of the Eyes High strategy
In 2016-17, the University of Calgary’s original Eyes High strategic direction is being refined, following five years of underpinning foundational transformation, planning development, priority identification, and resource allocation at the University of Calgary. It has served and continues to serve as a beacon for change, for elevating excellence and for building a strong community around a shared future state. As we celebrate the university’s 50th Anniversary, we are ‘energizing’ the Eyes High strategy so it can continue to provide the platform from which the university leverages its momentum and aspirations. Read the results of our 2016 consultation process.
Energizing Eyes High vs. Energize: The Campaign for Eyes High
Energizing Eyes High is the process to refine the UCalgary strategic direction. Energize: The Campaign for Eyes High is our $1.3 billion fundraising campaign in support of our strategy.
Hear Dr. Cannon speak about the origins of Eyes High, where we are on our journey, and what Energizing Eyes High is all about.
Planning and consultation process
In January 2016, the university began defining and gathering stakeholder input on the process, principles, governance and support structures required to guide the Energizing Eyes High initiative. Faculty members in the Haskayne School of Business built a strategy-planning process designed to be educational, inclusive, collaborative, leveraged, focused and inspirational.
The process reflected President Elizabeth Cannon’s commitment to undertaking a thoughtful, authentic consultation that will yield an effective and meaningful outcome. It focused on engaging students, faculty, staff, alumni, friends and community leaders in a range of activities guided by the following principles:
- Educational – internal and external communities are made aware of the progress of the current Eyes High strategic vision and key achievements to date are celebrated
- Inclusive – key internal and external stakeholders are actively engaged in a transparent process
- Collaborative and consultative – stakeholders are working towards the good of the institution as a whole
- Leveraged – appropriate engagement opportunities are utilized to integrate input and ideas
- Aspirational but grounded – there is a free flow of ideas but there are ground rules in place
- Inspirational – internal and external communities are reinvigorated and recommitted to the energized Eyes High strategy and the University of Calgary as a whole.
The Energizing Eyes High Strategic Oversight Committee comprised key stakeholders who provide the overall strategic direction to the consultation process, communication strategy, feedback themes, document drafts, approval process and final strategy. It represents a cross-section of the university community – including students, faculty, staff, Board of Governors and Senate.
The Secretariat provided operational resource support for the Strategic Oversight Committee. Key activities include record keeping, required research and/or benchmarking, draft and presentation preparation, communications and consultation logistics.
Sept 19, 2016: Help shape the future of your university.
Jan 31, 2017: Consultation summaries now available.
Mar 20, 2017: Board approves energized Eyes High strategy