Staff and students may be required to evacuate during an emergency. Most evacuations will be signalled by activation of a fire alarm.
If evacuation is ordered, follow these procedures:
- Stay calm, do not rush, and do not panic.
- Safely stop your work.
- Gather your personal belongings if it is safe to do so. (keys, purses, jackets, cell phones, etc. It may be hours before you are allowed back in the building.)
- If safe, close your office door and window, but do not lock them.
- If directed by wardens, follow their instructions.
- Use the closest emergency exit. Do not use the elevator.
- Proceed to the designated Emergency Assembly Point.
- In an extended evacuation evacuees may be briefed on the situation and directed to a Reception Center.
- Do not re-enter the building or work area until you have been advised by emergency responders that it is safe to do so.