University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Bachelor of Science: First-year courses

Expand All Collapse All

Click on your program below to see your required first-year courses.

Remember to register for BOTH terms

At the University of Calgary, you can register for both your Fall 2017 and Winter 2018 semesters at the same time. Take advantage of this great opportunity—don't wait until the end of the fall term to register for your winter term, as your first-choice classes may be full.

To help plan and schedule your courses, print out a copy of your first-year courses.

Are you interested in transferring to the Haskayne School of Business or the Schulich School of Engineering?

If you’re interested in a pursuing a Bachelor of Commerce degree you should follow the recommended first and second year course sequence for the Haskayne School of Business. If you have questions or would like information about how to transfer to the Haskayne School of Business, speak with an academic advisor from Haskayne. Combined degrees with the Faculty of Science and Haskayne School of Business are available for students completing a BSc in Actuarial Science or Computer Science.  If you have questions about these programs you should speak with an academic advisor from the Undergraduate Science Centre.

If you’re interested in the Schulich School of Engineering, there are certain courses that you can take in your first year that can be transferred to engineering programs in the future. It is also a good idea to speak directly with an academic advisor from Schulich to find out more information about transferring into engineering. If you are interested in completing a combined degree in the Faculty of Science and the Schulich School of Engineering, you should contact an academic advisor from the Undergraduate Science Centre.

Want to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, architect, veterinarian, or other professional?

The University of Calgary offers several professional programs that require previous university study before admission such as Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Laws, Master of Architecture, Doctor of Medicine, and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. This means that depending on the program, two to four years of post-secondary studies are required—students cannot apply for, or enter these programs directly from high school.

While most of these programs do not have a related undergraduate degree that you must pursue (which means you can study almost anything), there may be certain prerequisite courses, standardized tests or supplemental criteria that you must complete during your university-level studies. We encourage students who are thinking of pursuing any of these programs to thoroughly research and understand the requirements for admission into post-graduate/professional programs at the U of C and at other institutions.

The following links will help you get started. It is important to follow up with an academic advisor from your current program as well as the faculty or institution that you will be applying to just to ensure you are meeting your current degree requirements, as well as admission requirements for your future program.

Medicine: Find out which courses are recommended as preparation for medical school at the university.

Teaching: Find out what degree program(s) you should take if you are interested in pursuing education at the university.

Law School: Check out what the requirements are for admission into law school at the university.

Veterinary Medicine: See what courses you are required to take prior to admission into veterinarian medicine.

Architecture: Check out what is required to pursue the minor of Architecture program. Learn how to integrate courses in Architecture into your undergraduate degree program by completing a minor in Architectural Studies.