University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Bachelor of Arts: First-year courses

Expand All Collapse All

Click on your program below to see your recommended first-year courses.

TIP: To help plan and schedule your courses, print out a copy of your first-year courses.

Want to be a doctor, lawyer, teacher, architect, veterinarian, or other professional?

The U of C offers several professional programs that require previous university study before admission such as Bachelor of Laws, Master of Architecture, Doctor of Medicine, and Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. This means that depending on the program, two to four years of post-secondary studies are required—students cannot apply for, or enter these programs directly from high school. The Bachelor of Education (BEd) offers students the opportunity to pursue the degree either directly out of high school or after completing a first undergraduate degree.

While most of these programs do not have a related undergraduate degree that you must pursue (which means you can study almost anything), there may be certain prerequisite courses, standardized tests or supplemental criteria that you must complete during your university-level studies. We encourage students who are thinking of pursuing any of these programs to thoroughly research and understand the requirements for admission into post-graduate/professional programs at the U of C and at other institutions.

The following information will help you get started. It is important to follow up with an academic advisor from your current program as well as the faculty or institution that you will be applying to just to ensure you are meeting your current degree requirements, as well as admission requirements for your future program.

Medicine: Find out which courses are recommended as preparation for medical school at the university.

Teaching: Check out what the requirements are for admission to the various streams of the Bachelor of Education.

Law School: Check out what the requirements are for admission into law school at the university.

Veterinary Medicine: See what courses you are required to take prior to admission into veterinarian medicine at the university.

Architecture: Check out what is required to pursue the Master of Architecture program at the university. Learn how to integrate courses in Architecture into your undergraduate degree program by completing a minor in Architecture Studies.