Applications will open for January start on March 15
Applications will open for September start on November 1
You should be able to find all relevant information to the application procedure in these web pages, however, if you don't find an answer to your question, please contact a graduate advisor.
To increase your chances of acceptance, you should:
- Become familiar with the research focus of our professors.
- Contact Faculty whose research meshes with your interests, if possible.
- Discuss if they would make a suitable supervisor for your graduate program.
To Be Considered For Admission YOU MUST:
- List the potential supervisors (at least one) you are interested in working with on your on-line application form. We only consider students for which at least one of our professors has indicated that he/she will supervise the student. Note: correspondence with a potential supervisor is not required; however, you must list at least one faculty member you would like as a supervisor.
For International Applicants:
- To start in September, apply before February 1
- To start in January, apply before May 1
For Canadian and Permanent Residents Applicants:
- To start in September, apply before May 1
- To start in January, apply before October 1
We encourage early submission of all applications and supporting documents. Most departmental financial aid is awarded in February and March. If your supporting documents arrive late, the prospects for financial support and admission are significantly reduced.
Canadian students who hold major scholarships should contact the Computing Science Department at any time (even if it is after the application deadline).
All applicants must submit an official application and pay the application fee.
Applications will be processed only if the fee has been paid. Note: Do not send cash. You may send a money order, certified check or bank transfer made payable to the University of Calgary. You can also pay by Visa or MasterCard. The non-refundable application fee is CDN $100 for Canadian citizens and permanent residents, and CDN $130 for international students who will be attending on a Study Permit. Payment instructions will be provided upon submission of application.
Once we receive all supporting documents and the application fee has been paid we will begin to process your application. All hardcopy documents should be sent directly to the department.
- Send two official hardcopies of all marksheet/transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended, in the original language and in English. If degree status does not show on transcript and you have completed your program, you are also required to send your degree certificate. Documents must be sent to us in an unopened sealed envelope from the issuing institution. Unofficial transcripts can be uploaded via the online application system.
- At least two Referees have submitted their reference forms and letters. You will provide your referees information in the online application. Your referees will then be notified by email to submit these documents on your behalf. Your referees will submit these documents to the application system. Make sure to sign in to your application often to ensure that your documents have been received.
- Submit all applicable TOEFL, IELTS and/or GRE scores. Again you can upload unofficial scores via the online application system. This will allow us to get started, but we must have official copies prior to the application deadline. Please do not send scores before submitting an application.
- Curriculum Vitae and Statement of Purpose are recommended, but not required. You can include with your official documents or you can send them via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and ID# in the email.
Department address for hard copy documents:
Department of Computer Science
602 Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
University of Calgary
2500 University Dr. NW
Calgary, Alberta Canada T2N 1N4
When submitting an application, official scores must be sent directly from the testing institution and can only be reported for a period of two years from the testing date. For TOEFL: Institution code -0813; dept. code -78. IELTS please have your score sent to our office.
Note: This process takes between 6 - 8 weeks after the application deadline.