Financial support is provided for full-time graduate students in thesis-based programs.
For those without major scholarships, a normal level of funding is $20,000 CDN per year for the first 2 years in program for MSc students, and 4 years for PhD students. This funding may consist of teaching assistantships, research assistantships, funding from supervisors and departmental awards.
Attention International Applicants/Students – in addition to the above support, the Faculty of Science and the Department of Computer Science currently awards those with a study permit a Visa Differential Scholarship, which helps to pay for the Visa Differential Tuition Fee. This award is paid out monthly.
As part of your offer of admission you may be awarded a Graduate Assistant Teaching (GAT) appointment to provide teaching and instructional service for courses offered by the Department of Computer Science.
Graduate Assistant Teaching (GAT)
- The assigned responsibilities are 204 hours per term including preparation, student contact, marking, and exam invigilation.
- Students are generally offered funding Fall and Winter with some exceptions made for Spring/Summer terms, as most of your research will take place in the Spring
- Fall (September-December) and Winter (January-April) term GAT is $8633/term (2015/16 rates).
- Students are expected to maintain a satisfactory level of academic performance (minimum GPA of 3.00), as well as satisfactory performance in their duties as a Graduate Assistant Teacher in order to remain eligible for this funding.
- See the current Graduate Assistantships Agreement for more detailed information.